Dieppe

Images en cours de chargement
The city of Dieppe and its port|The historic centre of Dieppe|Photo GiorgioThe Château de Dieppe|Photo GiorgioThe port of Dieppe flanked by the quai Henri-IV|Photo SygogneHome Miffant at Scotland Street (17th century half-timbered House)|Photo Philippe AlèsThe Church Saint-Jacques in Dieppe|Photo PMR Maeyaert

Dieppe, city of Art and history

Dieppe is the Dean of the French resorts, it is also a city of Art and history. In the 14th and 15th centuries, its harbour gave birth to many adventurers, Privateers and explorers who scoured the seas. Dieppe has drawn in the 19th century painters Boudin, Pissaro, Sisley and Renoir. Its cliffs, its range, its old town and its fishing port and Marina make it a popular destination for visitors.

Brief summary of history

In 1195, Philippe Auguste repels Richard the Lion heart and destroyed the city. The annex Duchy of Normandy in 1204, Dieppe became French up to François Ier. The activity of the port allows owners to enrich and Dieppe became one of the first markets of France.

In the 16th century, the shipowner Jehan Ango boats criss-cross sides of the Brazil, Africa and North America. The shipowner will fortune thanks in particular to its Corsairs and help François Ier in its fight against the English.

Under François Ier and his successors, major works are launched and Dieppe is experiencing its golden age. In 1694, Dieppe is destroyed by the Anglo-Dutch fleet. Invaded twice by the Prussians during the war of 1870, the city suffers more still of World War II.

The districts of Dieppe

Dieppe is a city articulated around four ports and its neighbourhoods. The historic centre is located in the estuary of the Arques. It includes the waterfront, the area of the end of the dock, quai Henri-IV, the great Street, quartier Sainte-Catherine, Bérigny ex-bassin and the area of the avenue Gambetta.

The Pollet district is the old district of fishermen with picturesque houses and walks leading to the top of the cliff. Duquesne wharf with the arcades of the Fellowship, the Chamber trade in Dieppe and the building of the old hardware Leveau (26 quai Duquesne). Quay Henri-IV presents some beautiful historic buildings from the 17th and 18th centuries such as the college of the Oratorians dating from 1614. There are several restaurants.

The Castle-Museum

The construction of the present Castle began in 1443 at the instigation of Charles Des Marets. The West Tower may date from the 14th century. Genuine Castle, it has a composite architecture; the apparatus in Flint and sandstone was often reworked. It added a brick bastion and various buildings.

The Dieppe Castle houses the Dieppe Museum where you can admire one of the most large and beautiful collections of ivory carved in Europe (crucifix, rosaries, statuettes, fans, snuff), works by the painter Georges Braque and pianist Camille Saint-Saëns salon furniture.

Castle-Museum - street of chaste, 76200 Dieppe - Tel. + 33 (0) 2 35 06 62 09.

The Church of St James

Built from the 12th to the 16th century, the church door Santiago track of different eras. It falls under the flamboyant styles and Renaissance. Inside, the chapel of the treasure is decorated with a frieze known as 'savages' which reveals the various nations discovered by navigators and seamen of Dieppe.

Golf courses

Dieppe-Pourville golf
This is Willie Park Jr, the son of the first winner of the British Open in 1860 who created this course in 1897. Located on the cliffs of the alabaster coast, between Dieppe and the Pourville Beach, this very varied course combines the charms and pitfalls of a links. Holes No. 2, 8, 15 and 16 it overlooks the sea and the large white cliffs, the panorama is impressive. 18 holes - Par 70 - 5'695 meters
Dieppe-Pourville Golf - 51 road from Pourville, 76200 Dieppe - Tel. + 33 (0) 2 35 84 25 05.
The Hotel Saint-Saëns golf
Saint-Saëns golf is located in the heart of the forest of D'eawy, 34 kilometres from Dieppe. It was created in 1989 by the architect Denis Robinson and breaks down into three distinct parts. The Valley where the first 5 holes meander around the river Varenne, a rough start with shots that require precision. Then the forest where the river gives way to trees, narrow fairways and magnificent views of the field of D'eawy. Finally the tray with the holes 17 and its dangers par 3 and 18 with the arrival face chateau.18 hole - Par 71-6 009 metres.
Golf Hôtel de Saint - Saëns - field of Vaudichon, 76680 Saint-Saëns - Tel. + 33 (0) 2 35 34 25 24.

Useful information :

Good to know :
Tourist Office of Dieppe-Maritime bridge Jehan Ango, 76204 Dieppe Tel. + 33 (0) 2 32 14 40 60

Free of charge.

Where to stay:

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin