Saint-Suliac

Images en cours de chargement
The village of Saint-Suliac 	|Old houses in granite|The village of Saint-Suliac 	|The Church of Saint-Suliac surrounded by a churchyard|The mill Bano and its dike|The Oratory of Grainfolet (1894|

Saint-Suliac, "most beautiful Village of France.

Labeled «Most beautiful Village of France» Saint-Suliac is a port village of fishermen in the estuary of the Rance River, it is one of the few truly marine villages of this estuary, between Saint-Malo and Dinan. Its narrow streets and its old granite houses are turned towards the port.

Brief summary of history

Of the period Paleolithic, to 70,000 BC years BC, the discovery of an exceptional deposit of 6,000 cut archaeological objects (points, scrapers, scrapers, chisels) attests to an intense activity in the vast rock shelter of Grainfolet.

In 560, a Welsh monk named Tysilio (or Suliau) - later called Suliac - lived on the heights of Mont-Withers, he has founded a monastery which the Abbey chapel Saint-Laurent, was the first Church in the village.

During the first third of the 10th century, the Vikings settled in Saint-Suliac on the estuary of the Rance River, on a fortified site. They build a port city called "Gardaine" with fortified quadrangular enclosure and a belt of bulwark of more than 600 metres.

The inhabitants of the port village of Saint-Suliac are largely of the sailors. They practice fishing. They sailed on merchant ships armed, but they are also present on the privateers during the wars.

A typically breton port village

Saint-Suliac is classified amongst the "Most beautiful villages in France" is a typically breton port town organized around its church and its port, in multiple small tortuous and charming streets. Many houses dating from the 14th and 15th centuries show a large unit of color granite facades.

The Church of Saint-Suliac is built in the 13th century, with its nave in thin columns and topped with aisles, its transept to the North arm topped a massive Bell Tower and a decorated porch. With its remarkable by its fortified, surrounded by a churchyard Tower, it is a building become rare in this part of Brittany.

The Chabossière is a mansion dating from the 16th and 17th centuries. This noble logis was the residence of the family of La Chabossière. Its interior has remained as it was in the 18th century. The Garden contains a circular press and a square well

Around Saint-Suliac

In the Chablé locality, the menhir said "Tooth of Gargentua" would be according to a legend the burial place of the giant Gargantua, which a tooth is visible at Chablé farm.

There is a vestige of the 10th century viking camp, known as "l ' Huitrière of Withers', a fortified medieval quadrangular visible especially by sea south of Mont-Withers.

The Oratory of Grainfolet (1894), on the estuary of the Rance is located over a Palaeolithic site where lived in caves the earliest inhabitants of Saint Suliac.

A tide mill is Beauchet before 1542. In 1882, it was rebuilt after a fire. At the beginning of the 20th century, it is converted into a flour mill. The use of the tide is abandoned in favour of electricity in 1962 and ceased its activity in 1981.

Coastal hiking trails

Saint-Suliac is located on the Emerald Coast, it is practically a peninsula, with 12 km of shoreline. Many coastal hiking trails go to the meeting of natural sites that offer magnificent lookouts on the Rance estuary, the country of Saint-Malo, Dol, Dinan and Mont-St.-Michel.

Useful information :

Address :
35430 Saint-Suliac

Good to know :
Tourism Office of Saint - Suliac 25 quai Rance, 35430 Saint - Suliac Tel. + 33 (0) 2 99 58 41 22

Free of charge.

Where to stay:

All accommodation

facebook
twitter
googleplus
linkedin